Pucallpa, Peru 2007-2008

Monday, January 21, 2008

.....Bees.....




“I’m going out to the bees, does anyone want to go?” As Thomas asked I figured that I would wait until someone would speak up and the spots were filled. There are only three bee suits. One for him and two other people. David said he would go and no one else spoke up. I decided to take a plunge and face the bees even though I am not to fond of bees and especially their stings. I figured it would be an interesting experience to get an up close view of such intricate little insects. I got all suited up and off we went. We visited the first hive which hasn’t been moved yet and it was a little nerve racking. It took me a little while to get used to the thought that the bees couldn’t actually sting me through the suit. They kept hitting the netting around my face and stinging my gloves. I was a little flustered at first but then I remembered that the more you move and get scared, the more they like to sting you. That was a calming thought and I pretty much stood there still and motionless hoping that they would go bother the boys instead of me. Thomas finished up with the first hive, checking their progress, making sure they are going in a positive direction and we moved onto the hives further back in the jungle. There were about twenty hives and Thomas went from one to one looking for queens and checking the honey progress. He showed us a new hatching bee, pollen in the little holes, bad hives that still need work, and the good hives that are on their way to a successful future. It was truly an amazing experience and not only did I become more comfortable with the bees (in the bee suit), I had fun getting up close shots of the bees and Thomas at work. It reminded me a lot of my grandfathers old hives and it was amazing to see such talent that goes into working with bees.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I remember that same anxiousness the first time I worked with bees - but I am here to tell you that it soon becomes very soothing to open hives, hear the hum of the insects at work, and gently work with a few of the frames looking for signs of health or disease... or at least that was what I thought untill I opened up one of the africanized hives down there....