Pucallpa, Peru 2007-2008

Monday, March 31, 2008

To Stuck to Move

We were at clinic in a village called Nuevo Era just outside of Pucallpa. A woman came into our clinic who was very sick with dehydration and infections. We needed a medication and a specific iv tubing. It had been raining all night and all morning and I didn’t even think about how bad the dirt roads would be. I hopped in the truck and had trouble turning it around. I got about half way down the road driving towards the exit as the back end fish tailed and threw me into the ditch/gutter. Having very little mud driving skills I got out and went to get Brent so that I wouldn’t get it even more stuck. Brent as busy as he was with his dental came out to help. I had no idea how long it would take and the sick woman had to have her medicine. Three little boys were there wanting to help and five middle aged men. After twenty minutes of getting it stuck in different positions I hopped out to catch a moto to town to get the medication. After forgetting my sandals in the truck I hopped in a moto that took me straight to the pharmacy. Realizing that I didn’t have shoes I went and bought the medications and hopped the moto back to the site. The moto wanted five soles. I was getting ripped off but after the rainy shoeless morning I didn’t really care and I gave it to him. I started walking back to the campaign house and saw where the truck was. It was way deeper and there were many more men around it with shovels. I laughed and ran on my barefooted way tromping through the mud back to the hut and brought the medicine. They had made the medication that we had already work but it did come in handy later. Later in the afternoon I heard the truck driving down the street and I looked out to the road and the village boys and Brent had finally got it out. My heroes. Ha. Needles to say I was very thankful that the truck that I got stuck was finally out.

No comments: