Pucallpa, Peru 2007-2008

Monday, December 10, 2007

Class Grows to Outstanding Numbers


Three months ago Tara and I started teaching night classes for kids and adults who wanted to learn from English. There was a big want in the community and our two classes ended up being three classes. Every night even three months later I have mothers coming to me with their children wanting to be in my class. I explain to them night after night that I started out with just one class that grew to forty-five students and that I split that class in to two to make a class for children and a class for adults. They are never surprised to hear that I have thirty five kids in my younger class but still proceed to ask if I can take just one or sometimes four more.
The class room really only holds about 25 students. But when you have three chairs around some of the desks it holds many more students. When I first started teaching in Campo Verde it was a little bit of a struggle because I was really the only teacher and I was currently making up the class. I had many students coming and going as they pleased which wasn’t a very good. As I developed the regulars and cut off at around thirty five students. I am now so excited to not just have a class but to have a room filled with many little children that I have developed a relationship with and have grown to love.
One little girl tugs on my elbow every time I write on the board asking me if she has to write the information down. Everytime I know it is her and I tell her, “yes, you always have to copy down new information.” She laughs and says thank you and starts writing diligently. Another little boy names Isou on the other hand copies down nothing. Every once in a while I will quiz him verbally and this little six year old will answer every question correct. Very smart child. Other kids are just so sweet bring me honey and giving me the common Peruvian kiss goodbye. I have grown to love each and everyone of my children and thank God that He has put me in such an amazing place.

1 comment:

Alex said...

You are doing a wonderful work, laboring in a harvest that has few reapers. Continue to share the Light we as followers of Christ have been recieved to these thirsty people. You and your team are in my prayers.