Pucallpa, Peru 2007-2008

Monday, December 10, 2007

Hola Mi Familia y Mi Homies


I have been in Peru now for almost five months. I can hardly believe it. The first three months went by a little slow but now the time is passing in a blink of an eye. My time spent here in Peru has been amazing. Teaching my English and music classes has been challenging but very rewarding. I started out not knowing any Spanish and thinking that I would make very little connections with the kids. Spanish was hard and the kids started out to be little devils. I didn’t know how to handle them by talking in Spanish and didn’t realize the lack of attention that was in their lives and homes.
After the first month an amazing thing happened. Spanish was flowing easier and the children, although still a handful, had worked their way into my heart. A sweet little kindergarten boy who used to run around the classroom is now sitting quietly and singing along with the other children. I get big huge little kid bear hugs from him everyday and I am so amazed by the transformation of our classes.
Classes are ending at all three of our schools on the 14th of December. There summer/rainy break will begin and us sm’s will be heading down south to renew our visas. After seeing some sites in Peru over Christmas break we will be back and ready to work. There will be another clinic in January, lots of work in the fields, and two of our schools will be starting back up with classes during the summer, January 22. I am excited for the break but will be missing all of you.
As we are approaching the holiday season, Km. 38 is looking a lot like Christmas. We have been playing our Christmas music and making our Christmas construction paper chains, hot peppermint mocha tea, and even cut out snowflakes and a Christmas tree. Our house is quite festive but the heat changes the atmosphere from our usual nippy December days. There is no jack frost nipping at our noses, or chestnuts roasting over our fire. The children aren’t bundling up or singing Christmas carols. But the biggest difference is the absence of the family and friends that I have been surrounded by each traditional Christmas day in the past. You will all be missed through this season of joy and cheer. I love each and every one of you and I am so thankful for all your love and support. Keep me in your prayers.

No comments: